Topic: Introduction to 2D Animation
Skill Level: Intermediate
Type: 12 Week Intensive
About this course
This class teaches you the art of beautiful movement. You’ll learn the principles behind great animation and how to apply them in After Effects. (Note: You should be somewhat comfortable and able to make basic animations in Adobe After Effects before taking this class.) You will learn about fundamental principles of animation like Oscillation, Follow Through and Eye Trace as well as philosophies and techniques from some of the best After Effects animators out there.
- You should be somewhat comfortable and able to make basic animations in Adobe After Effects before taking this course.
- If you are not yet comfortable in After Effects, you should take After Effects Kickstart first.
Instructor - Joey Korenman
Prior to starting School of Motion, Joey was the Creative Director and Lead Animator at Toil in Boston, MA. There he lead projects for clients like Subway, McDonalds, Progressive, Saucony, and many other high-profile brands. He has also freelanced extensively for studios and agencies, working on network rebrands for Speed, Discovery, HBO, and SyFy. He's been using After Effects for close to 20 years and is one of the baldest dudes you'll ever meet.
- Be engaged from anywhere in the world on your own schedule. Lessons open at a specific time but you can watch them and do your work whenever it is convenient for you.
- Built in catch up weeks, extended critiques, and very flexible deadline policies make completing this course possible for even the busiest professional.
- All of our courses are taught completely online through prerecorded lesson videos, podcasts, and handouts.
- Students typically receive homework assignments twice per week, which have soft deadlines of the following day.
- All student work is critiqued by our highly trained Teaching Assistants. School of Motion TA's are professional motion designers with real life experience in the industry. Even if you submit your very first assignment work on the last day of the course your TA will still critique your work!
- During the course you will be invited to a private classroom that contains all of the Teaching Assistants and students in your session. This is a great tool for connecting, asking or answering questions, sharing thoughts or insights, and winning cool contests!
Schedule and Course Length
12 Weeks of Animation BootcampWeek 1: Orientation Week
Weeks 2 - 5: Lessons and Assignments
Week 6: Catchup week (no new assignments or lessons this week)
Weeks 7 -8: Lessons and Assignments
Weeks 9 - 12: Extended Critique (no new assignments or lessons this week)
- 15 - 20 hours per week
- 13 assignments (typically assigned on Mondays and Thursdays with soft deadlines the next day)
The minimum required software to take this course on would be:
- Adobe After Effects CC 2014 (13.0 or Higher)
- Adobe Flash Professional CC 2014 (14.0 or Higher - Important Note: This is now called Adobe Animate CC as of version 2015.1 (15.1)
*Note: Accessing other students' project files will typically require the current version of After Effects.
$1197 or 3 payments of $414 ($1,242 total).