Skill Level: Beginner
Type: 8 Week Intensive
About This Course
This course is for anyone looking to learn about Design in the context of Motion Graphics. You do not need to know anything about Design to take this course, and it is built with the true design beginner in mind. Even students coming from a print design background could see some benefits from taking this course because of the Motion Design focus. By the end of this course students will have strong knowledge of the most essential Design Principles for Motion Design and be ready for more advanced courses
Students taking this course must have a solid understanding of how to use Adobe Photoshop for creating artwork. Knowledge of Adobe Illustrator is a plus and may be useful to students taking this course. It is strongly recommended that students take Photoshop and Illustrator Unleashed before this course, or have equivalent knowledge. Students do not need to know anything about Design or After Effects to take this course. If they are new to Motion Design it is highly recommended that they complete The Path to MoGraph for industry context before taking this course.
Examples of Tools and Techniques students should know:
- Adobe Photoshop
- Basic application of textures to artwork
- The Pen Tool
- Basic Effects (Distortions, Transforms, and Layer Styles)
- Blend Modes
- Adobe Illustrator (not required, but could be useful):
- Pen Tool
- Creation of Shapes and basic artwork
Schedule and Course Length
8 Weeks of Design Kickstart
Week 1: Orientation week
Week 2: Lessons and Assignments
Week 3: Lessons and Assignments
Week 4: Focus Week (no new assignments or lessons this week)
Week 5: Lessons and Assignments
Week 6: Lessons and Assignments
Week 7: Extended Critique
Week 8: Extended Critique
Instructor - Mike Fredrick
Your fearless leader on this journey is Mike Frederick, Emmy-Award winning Designer & Art Director who has been working in the field of Motion Design for over 20 years. His roster of advertising and broadcast clients is massive and includes some big names like HBO, Discovery, National Geographic, and Microsoft.
- All of our courses are taught completely online through prerecorded lesson videos, podcasts, and handouts. Engage from anywhere in the world on your own schedule.
- Students typically receive homework assignments twice per week. Lessons open at a specific time with a soft deadline of the following day. If you don’t finish, don’t sweat it! We have built in Focus Weeks and Extended Critique weeks at the end of the session where students have extra time to work on any assignments they choose.
- All student work is critiqued by our highly trained Teaching Assistants. School of Motion TA's are professional motion designers with real life experience in the industry.
- During the course you will be invited to a private Facebook group that contains all of the Teaching Assistants and students in your session. This is a great tool for connecting, asking or answering questions, sharing thoughts or insights, and winning cool contests!
- 15-20 hours per week
- 8 assignments (typically assigned on Mondays and Thursdays with soft deadlines the next day)
Required Hardware and Software
- Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 (20.0.0 or Higher)
Suggested Hardware and Software
- Adobe Illustrator CC 2019 (23.1.0 or Higher)
- Wacom Tablet, any kind. https://www.wacom.com/en-us
$697 or 2 payments of $370 ($740 total) Click here to view the next open enrollment