In this course you will learn how to create illustrations for Motion Design. This course will be a mix of theory and practical tool usage in Photoshop. You will learn a variety of techniques that will help you immediately improve your abilities to create artwork from scratch to be used in Motion Design. You will learn new skills through a variety of exercises that encourage you to explore new styles, while developing your own style of creating artwork. You will even have the opportunity to explore some character design in this course, although it is not character focused.
- You should have a solid understanding of how to use Adobe Photoshop for creating artwork. Knowledge of Adobe Illustrator is a plus. Examples of Tools and Techniques you should know: Using Brushes, Basic application of textures to artwork, The Pen Tool, Masking, Basic Effects (Distortions, Transforms, and Layer Styles), and Blend Modes.
- Having some foundational design knowledge is recommended.
- If you are new to Motion Design then we recommend taking Photoshop Illustrator Unleashed before this course.
Instructor - Sarah Beth Morgan
Sarah Beth Morgan is an art director / illustrator / designer based in Portland, OR.
She spent her first four years out of school at Gentleman Scholar and Oddfellows. It was working for these top-notch motion studios that gave her the confidence to branch out on her own. Now, as a full-time freelancer, Sarah Beth enjoys diving headfirst into passion projects, collaborating with new friends, and advocating for other women in the industry.
Clients Sarah Beth has worked with include, Adobe, Casper, Google, Airbnb, Capital One, UnitedHealth Group, Old Navy, Wonderlust, IV Animation, Gentleman Scholar, Oddfellows, Animography, TwitterNiche, BlendFest, Rachael Ray Everyday.
- Be engaged from anywhere in the world on your own schedule. Lessons open at a specific time but you can watch them and do your work whenever it is convenient for you.
- Built in catch up weeks, extended critiques, and very flexible deadline policies make completing this course possible for even the busiest professional.
- All of our courses are taught completely online through prerecorded lesson videos, podcasts, and handouts.
- Students typically receive homework assignments twice per week, which have soft deadlines.
- All student work is critiqued by our highly trained Teaching Assistants. School of Motion TA's are professional motion designers with real life experience in the industry.
- During the course you will be invited to a private Facebook group that contains all of the Teaching Assistants and students in your session. This is a great tool for connecting, asking or answering questions, sharing thoughts or insights, and winning cool contests!
Schedule and Course Length
12 Weeks of Illustration for Motion
- Week 1: Orientation Week
- Weeks 2 - 3: Lessons and Assignments
- Week 4: Focus Week (no new assignments or lessons this week)
- Weeks 5 - 6 Lessons and Assignments
- Week 7: Focus Week (no new assignments or lessons this week)
- Weeks 8 - 9 Lessons and Assignments
- Weeks 10 - 12 Extended Critique (no new assignments or lessons this week)
- 15 - 20 hours per week.
- 13 assignments (typically assigned on Mondays and Thursdays with soft deadlines the next day).
- Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 (20.0.0 or Higher).
- Access to a camera if you need to use pen and paper to create line work for Illustrations.
Strongly Recommended Hardware
- Drawing tablet, any kind. Check those out here!
- Adobe Illustrator CC 2019 (23.1.0 or Higher).
- To learn more about hardware requirements for this course feel free to check out this article.
$997 or 3 payments of $349 ($1047 total) Click here to view the next open enrollment.